A couple of years ago I decided to dodge the Facebook brigade and try doing something different. My plan involved this here blog, with an insight into living in one of the remote corners of northumbria, (as I like to call it). It’s also a means of remembering things, just like a diary. … anyway,
The fact that there’s no mains power or water, no broadband, no gas, no oil fired central heating, no pub to speak of and any larger amenities are 20 to 40 miles away is just fine and dandy. ..
Having said that, I am of an age where you have a certain amount of knowledge that can be used to make things, mend things or know someone who can do what you can’t…. all this sets me in good stead to be able to live far from the madding crowd…
BUT… this week I’ve given up….
No, not the lifestyle! The make do and mend bit of it.. for this week, yet another major problem has befallen the Republic. .
Our four year old wood burning kitchen range has split it’s water jacket. ..
That’s no more hot water or heating or as a consequence hot kettle for cuppa’s for a while.
This thing is from Italy and while the importer has been shall we say, a nightmare to deal with in the past, this time around we’re getting a better service from them.
As it’s out of warranty by a year and they say it’s good for a twenty five year lifespan, they have offered to ship it back to Italy for investigation.
BUT. …and it’s a big but! This will take up to twenty six weeks. … hold on….. that’s into January and remote houses get flaming cold during that time of year. … “don’t worry ” said the nice lady on the other end of the phone “we will supply you with a boiler model to tide you over”..
Hmmm, after a think and a call to the insurance company we find that we’re covered.
So, instead of all the hassle of shipping to Italy, temporary boilers and plumbing, it’s just getting replaced and plumbed in by the correct tradesmen.
OTHER NEWS FROM THE WILD WOOD’S
after the kingspan KW3 was set up, the spectre of fencing reared it’s ugly head. In fact two runs of fence needed seeing to.
Firstly the turbine itself including the field boundary and secondly, the long awaited upgrade to a pig net fence at the entrance.
The post and rail option being a nice alternative to pig net. ..
We also tackled a new floor for an old shed..
The shed was gifted to me two years ago and has sat gathering cobwebs since then.
Likewise the timbers have been here for possibly the same amount of time. Once sorted, the shed is now my new home for the old MTD ride on lawnmower. .
Don’t know what to make of this new wind turbine. Initial results are that it doesn’t produce what I expected. . That’s my first impressions, but, having said that, today’s wind has been fairly strong and as a result the amp meter has seen 25 amps
Mind you, to achieve this, the solar was switched off.
The solar is trumping the wind so it produces nothing, even in a strong blow!!!
The factory settings on the PCB don’t seem to go any higher and as the Trace inverters factory settings are 3v above that of the turbine, this means no power production.
I’ve put the conundrum into the hands of the installation guru’s. .
Anyway it’s now nearly midnight, my body clock is all to hell after a weekend of night shifts, so a quick look outside to see if there’s any meteorites and of to the land of nod…
Oh.. getting back to the title of this week’s effort. .. a big hello to the Facebook page followers. …
And just a note to say, more car stickers are ready. ..
Posted from WordPress for Android
Categories: Northumberland (the peoples republic of)