No rest for the wicked…

It’s easier being at work…
Saturday started with repair to the offshot already!!!…
image

after this rain we found a leak… What’s happened is, where the soaker is a lath has been mis nailed onto the joist, therfore the nail has punctured the soaker. The water was traveling through the soaker, down the nail and cosequently over the top of the window frame and into the offshot.
Luckily it was’nt to hard to find once the facia board was off. While i was tackling this job, better half was making a hard landscape area in an un mowable corner af the lawn
image

Everything sorted it was time to re lay some washed away road surface, last weeks thunder storms and flash flooding did for parts of the road. We have a 1964 david brown implematic with a trip loader for this task
image

A fine old piece of kit, just like me and the same age as me!!!..
image

Once a few buckets of road scalping’s had been laid, better half wanted a shot at driving. So the opertunity arose to take a couple of olde worlde photos.
image

Looks good in sepia..
image
All that under a menacing sky!!!…
image

That done it was on to a repair job that has been put off since last summer.
We have three strimmers at the republic, one heavy duty husqvana (belting bit of kit) and two mcculloch identical jobbys.
Both these had packed in last year, Not being more than 18 months old!!!. It looked to me as if the crank seals had gone on both of them. So on went the gloves and off came the parts of number one.
image
I had this one stripped down far enough to check rings and main bearings, the only thing i found was a crack in a pipe on the carb mounting that was sealed with hi temperature flu pipe silicone. Not the major problem of my first thoughts, so back together it was and by jingo… The fecker fired up!!!
After a fiddle with the mixture screws it was running as sweet as a nut.
On to number two, the first thing to check was the same pipe. Hello! Same problem, one silicone fix later and it fired up,
image

but this time no mater how the mixture screws where set it would not run or pull any power. This one was like this from new. A different problem, off came the silencer and hey presto it started, pulled power and sounded crisp, although noisy. Out came the butane blow lamp and a little diesel to pour in the silencer. After heating the thing up cherry red, out came a load of burnt off carbon dust. After fitting the silencer back on the thing fired up and ran sweetly, just needed a tweek of the mixtures. Heres the offending pipe tucked behind the primer bulb..
image
It was late when i finally got in the house so, after a splash in the tub we spent the rest of the night watching T in the park, quite glad to be missing the mud this year. Some folks seem to enjoy it, there was footage of people ” bog snorkelling”. Absolutley covered head to toe. The dog does this every time she goes for a walk…
Sunday…
Today i got stuck in to checking the batterys
image

The gravity check being th most important check, this determin’s the state of charge per battery cell,
image

After that a top up of deionised water, or if you dont want to buy such things, use water from a dehumidifier it’s exactly the same and costs nowt.
Observations noted and inverter set to an equalise charge,as i have three weak cells, it was on to more jobs. Better half laid the bricks at her hard landsape corner while i mixed the cement. Cut the grass and i strimmed, also cut the hedges and re laid a wobbly flag stone with the left over cement.
Walked the dogs and went looking for devils darning needles. Rescued a large tree stump from the burn to use in a project we have in mind.
And now its wine and T in the park time, so TTFN…

Advertisements